Monday, June 29, 2020

Summertime Week 2 - Looks and Links

Week 2 went pretty well.  I worked on Sunday to print and compile everything the kids needed in their binders for the week and, as always, I over planned.  I'm beginning to think that week 4 or 5 we will review the first few weeks and work on activities I printed but we never finished!!

If you didn't see Week 1, you can find it HERE.   The review packets can be found HERE (first grade), HERE (for 4th grade) and HERE (5th grade).  I love these packets because all of the work is done for me; I just print off the weekly pages.  I do alter them a little.  For example, on one day, the 4th graders had about 25 math problems to work out surrounding days, time, and months.  I don't want the sheet taking more then about 20 minutes so I cut that math assignment in half.

Our theme this week was Plants.  I was hopeful it would be review and it was for both of my boys.  They spent quite a bit of time on Plants in science this year and were able to answer questions and fill in blanks fairly easily.

Monday - I gave them a free day.  Mondays are hard some weeks and this was one of those weeks.  Our family was coming in off a fabulous three day weekend were we did some fun things and stayed up late three nights in a row (three of the four of us are night owls).  Needless to say, I wasn't really "feeling" all the effort of the day HA!

Tuesday - There was no individual time on Tuesday morning because I had to take Josh and Nate in for their dentist cleanings in the morning.  (Masks, social distancing, and lots of hand sanitizer was used to make sure they were safe!!)  BUT we did do group time on Tuesday and the kids even had fun!
We started our PLANT LAPBOOK today.  This is an awesome resource.  I was thankful for the tiny photo on the item page or I would of had a little trouble figuring out how things were supposed to go on each page especially because the written directions were incorrect (oops!) 

Wednesday - This was finally a regular day.  They kids did their normal Individual time in the morning except after thirty minutes I "kicked" them all outside for the second thirty minutes because the weather was just too nice to stay inside. Our group time was great.  It helped that we had no internet in the afternoon so they didn't mind spending extra time working on some group things!
 This page came from the packet I purchased at Education.com.  It was a simple labeling activity.  We did one other activity from the packet as well where they had to past items in the correct column but I did not get a photo of that item. 
 We continued with our lapbook. 
This worksheet found HERE  was awesome.  Simple instructions and a variety of printing options depending on the age group you are working with PLUS a great answer sheet that makes it easy to fill out.  

Thursday - We did our group activity in the morning because I was going grocery shopping in the afternoon.  This meant they had a free afternoon.


This was our main activity - we finished up our Lap books!  They turned out amazing! 

Friday - This was a free day.

Things  I figured out this week was that 1) I don't want to do individual time on Monday mornings - none of us are ready for that kind of commitment after the weekend and 2) Friday's will be free.  My original plan was to do individual time in the morning on Fridays but really, that's a big no. HA!  A lot of times my Fridays are reserved for getting things done like running errands, mowing the grass, or cleaning.  Trust me, this makes the kids happy since they don't love the individual time "work".  The less they have to do the better!!

No comments: