Crispy Orange Beef with Broccoli
adapted from Comfy in the Kitchen
This recipe is not over powering, it is easy, and it is so darn tasty!! There really isn't much more to say because it was perfect just like the recipe showed. I did love the tip that white vinegar could be used - I don't like buying "speciality" ingredients in case I don't like the recipe. I have since purchased a bottle of Rice Wine Vinegar since I have several good recipes that call for and, guess what? It smells just like white Vinegar!!
- 1 1/2 pounds beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar (white vinegar will do)
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 8 broccoli florets, lightly steamed or blanched
- 1-1 1/2 cups oil for frying- use 1/4 cup at a time in batches
- Drain beef strips in a single layer on dish lined with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Start making your rice per package directions.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- Toss dried beef in cornstarch to coat.
- Fry in the hot oil in small batches until crispy and golden brown; set aside.
- Drain all of the oil from the wok except about 1 tablespoon.
- Add orange zest, ginger and garlic to the remaining oil, and cook briefly.
- Add the soy sauce mixture to the wok, bring to a boil, and cook until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, and heat through, stirring to coat.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice, and garnish with broccoli