Saturday was Nate's 2nd Birthday Party and we chose the theme "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" because that is one of his favorite books!
We started out the excited of this party by sending out adorable invitations that I found at LuvBugdesign on etsy.
For the decorations, I used several ideas/inspirations. Our main focal point was a giant Poof Ball Caterpillar that hung in the middle of the living room.
Catch My Party and fell in love with the idea so I headed over to Martha Stewart.com for the full tutorial. I learned a few things. One, I used a mix of never before used tissue paper and used tissue paper - next time I would buy all new. It is much easier to fold it when it is all lined up. The used paper tends to be slippery and want to slid out of the folds. Two, it doesn't have to be perfect - either the folding or the rounding of the edges - once you "poof" it, no one will every know! They really are easy to make and make a huge statement in a room.
I used two different sources for the printables I used to decorate with around the house. First, one of the inspiration parties I looked at was over at Polka Dot and Puppies. Her party was fantastic and she shared some free pintables to use with the food or just as decoration which stated what the Caterpillar ate each day.
Then, I also ordered a packet of items to print from another etsy store called The Party Project. This pack was designed for me but she has tons of stuff in her shop and it is great quality.
Now for the food!!! I meant to take pictures of every item but somehow, only managed to get these two shots.
Pinterest and was looking for an excuse to make it. It fit in perfectly with the them because the book has dots all over the front and back covers. My boys always start on that page and say "dot, dot, dot" :-) All of the food that was at the party came from the book. The Caterpillar eats through LOTS of food through the week until he gets REALLY big!
On the first 5 days (Monday-Friday) he eats through different fruits such as apples, pears, plums (I could not find plums anywhere!), strawberry's and oranges. I took all of those fruits plus watermelon, which he eats through on Saturday, and made Honey-Lime Salad from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. This fruit salad is fantastic and you can use any fruit that you want in it. This salad was a favorite of Josh's - he couldn't stop eating it :-) Then, on Saturday, he eats through TONS of things:
1. Chocolate Cake - notice that some of the little cupcakes are Chocolate? Well, the cake was supposed to be chocolate but when I made the first cake, it totally flopped. I've never had a cake mess up as bad as that one did so I ended up running to the store and buying a yellow cake mix to use for the cake.
2. Ice Cream - we served ice cream with the cake :-)
3. Pickle, Swiss Cheese and Salami - I made a cheese tray (but I didn't use Swiss cheese)
4. Sausages - We had Bratwurst and I did them in the crockpot - they were so good. As a matter of fact, my dad said they were the best he's every had. All you do is brown the brats in a pan on each side. Slice some onions (as many as you want). Layer some onions in the bottom of your crock pot, lay the brats on top, and more onions. Then add apple juice until the brats are covered. Then cook on low for 5-6 hours or until they are cooked through.
5. Cupcakes - I cheated :-) I bought those cute little Christmas cupcakes at our local grocery store
6. Cherry Pie - I knew we didn't need big cherry pies so I made these little cherry pies inspired from Bakerella (This is her photo too since I forgot to snap a photo!)
There are TONS of ideas out in blog land/pinterest for more ideas about food and decorations. Yes, you could really go overboard!
One last food item - on Sunday, Mr. Caterpillar is recovering from his stomach ache due to all he ate so he ate through a leaf. We had my "Famous" taco salad :-)
SAMEmonogram was great to work with and went above and beyond for me :-) I was so thrilled to get Nate's shirt - it was just way too adorable!
Because I love games (even though everyone else acts like they don't HA!) we did play a little game. I just put together a quiz with some basic facts about caterpillars and then they had to try and put all of the food in order. Games are a great way to get people talking :-)
Now for the fun stuff :-) All of the photos!