adapted from Comfy in the Kitchen
Growing up, my mom always made two different things with cucumbers (well, she did more than two but these were creative uses of way too many cucumbers growing in the garden). One was Cucumbers sliced and placed in a mix of vinegar and water. YUMMY! I guess some people would call them quick pickles but I just called them sour cucumbers. When I saw this similar recipe posted on another blog I decided to try it out and it really is so good. The sugar adds just enough sweetness to make me want to eat them all at once (who knows, maybe my mom added sugar and I just never knew it!!) I was hoping that Josh would eat them since he loves pickles. I'll give him credit - he did taste one but told me that they weren't pickles because they were in "water" :-)
- 1 English Cucumber
- 1 Vidalia Onion (I usually just use whatever I have - it's more for flavor than anything)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- salt, pepper, and/or dill weed optional}
- Peel cucumber leaving some decorative peel in tact.
- Thinly slice cucumber and onion.
- Whisk water, vinegar and sugar together and poor over cucumber and onion.
- Let marinate for at least 2 hours or make ahead of time in morning.
- Add seasonings to your liking