adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Yield: Makes about 4 cups of “Crème” enough for about 6 dessert-sized portions
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups light or regular sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Assortment of fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the gelatin, sugar and heavy cream until well combined. Set the saucepan on the stovetop burner and set the heat to low, stirring until the sugar and gelatin are dissolved and the mixture is barely warm to the touch. Be careful not to overheat the mixture – the purpose is simply to heat slightly to dissolve the sugar and gelatin.
- Remove the pot from the heat and fold in the sour cream and vanilla extract until the mixture is well combined. Pour the mixture into ramekins, dessert cups, small glass bowls or pots de crème. Chill for 2-3 hours or up to overnight. Just before serving, spoon fresh berries on top.