Monday, October 26, 2020

So lets talk about lunch

 I always hear parents complaining about school lunch - whether you have to pack lunches every day or you take advantage of the free lunch programs at so many schools lunch is always a sore subject! 

When my kids were younger, I tried all of those creative ideas posted on the internet.  

Things like Muffin Tin Mondays

Or making Bento Box style lunches
To creative cutting of sandwiches.

Really, my kids were not impressed by any of them.  I finally figured out that I was creating work for myself when my kids just wanted lunch.  As a matter of fact, I just give my "Funny Lunch Ideas" cookbook away a few weeks ago HA!  

I also used to plan 30 days of lunches with the goal of not repeating things.  Well, considering the fact that my kids like about 5 things that was not successful.  I've finally accepted the fact that lunch works best if I just make them what they like with the goal of trying to offer a slight variety by not serving the same thing every. single. day. 

So even though I get to feed my kids at home for lunch, it is still a struggle to figure out what to give them.  

This is what our lunch menu looks like on a normal basis.  Each of my boys have things they like or dislike so yes, I often make two things at lunch time and that's ok (Plus I make something different for me HA!) 

Week 1:
M: Sandwiches/Wraps (they both like these!) 
T: Bosco Sticks with Sauce/Mac and Cheese
W: Pizza
Th: Chicken Nuggets/Corn Dogs
F: Lunchables (Sometimes "homemade") 

Week 2:
M: Sandwiches/Warps
T: Waffles or Pancakes and Sausage
W: Pizza 
Th: Chicken Noodle Soup/Mac and Cheese
F: Lunchables (sometimes "homemade") 

Some other options I substitute depending on what we are having for dinner:
Spaghetti
Beefy Noodles
Breakfast Sandwich (for Josh)
A frozen "dinner" - Sesame Chicken (A favorite of Josh) 

For myself, I don't tend to like the same things the kids like so I have a few favorites that I make for myself.

Chicken Salad (one of my favorites - I love my homemade version!)
Egg Salad
Leftovers - depending on the week
Chicken Noodle soup or Broccoli Cheese SOup
Or a "protein" box which includes rolled lunchmeat, a hard boiled egg, cheese, and crackers - it always varies based on what is in the house.  

What is your favorite lunch?  Maybe I'll add it to my rotation. 


No comments: