Thursday, February 28, 2013

Darryl's Birthday Weekend

On the 22nd of February, my husband turned. ..  .older.  :-)  Since we just went away for Valentine's Day last week, I had to get a little creative and decided that we would still go away but we would go to my parents house since the room was free, meals were free and, well, babysitting was free. 

First of all, I took the boys to the store on Thursday to find a present for their dad.  We stopped near the toy/candy/flower section and I told them what they were doing.  Nate turned around said, "I want to get him flowers" and Josh said, without hesitating, "I want to get him a treat".  Wow!  Who knew they already had ideas.  Nate walked through the flower section and found a daffodil plant he wanted to get because "It looks like our sunflowers mom!".  Josh had me help him pick out a huge bag of Hershey Kisses - he knows his dad loves chocolate!.

Second, on Friday, the boys and I packed and made a few things - a cake and cards :-)

They loved frosting the cake and yes, Nate is using a whisk - he said his spatula was not working well.  :-)  By the time they were down, the cake was beginning to crumble ;-)  They loved it though! 

Once Darryl got home, we headed out to my parents house for dinner, cake and gifts. 

 The boys put all of the candles in the cake . . and then rearranged them about 4 times HA!  They were so proud of their handiwork.  This is the first birthday party of an adult that they have really gotten into and it really was super fun.  We had a great dinner of ham, Baked beans, Potato Salad, and baked apples. Yum!

 This photo speaks volumes.  Darryl was pulling out the flowers and wasn't quite sure who picked them out; Nate standing off to the side quietly said, "I picked them out all by myself just for you dad".  How sweet is that?  That made them super special.
 This is Darryl opening Josh's gift - see Nate's face?  He's screeching, "It's a treat dad" HA!  Such excitement!!

 Blowing out the candles on the cake - Homemade Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - his favorite!
The birthday boy!!!

On Saturday, we started out with breakfast at a place called Mega Coney.  The whole family went and it was fun.  Once we dropped the boys back at my parents, we took off for the day.  Our first stop was bowling but (oops) I should have called. They said they had opening bowling on their website but I did not realize there was a tournament that day.  So instead we just headed to a fantastic indoor outlet mall called Great Lakes Crossing.  Darryl wanted to pick out some new clothes so it was the perfect place to shop. I forgot out awesome the mall is - we haven't been there in about 10 years.  We walked the whole thing (it is like 2 miles) and, of course, got an Auntie Anne Pretzel for a snack half way through :-)  Then we went to dinner at Chili's and saw a movie because, well, we could.  Once we got back to my parent's town, we actually went back to Mega Coney Island for Milk Shakes (and maybe a Coney Dog and Hanni . . but I can't remember HA).  It was a great day

A nice relaxing weekend :-) 

No comments: