Pumpkin Crunch Cake
adapted from . .. a friend!
A friend of mine posted about this recipe on facebook and raved about it so I "made" her share the recipe. I decided to make it for Ladies Fellowship meeting - yep, make a new recipe for a gathering, that's how I roll! While I was making it, I had my doubts but in the end, it was fantastic. My husband said that it beat out pumpkin pie in his book and that he would rather have this any day. I would have to agree with him. I would compare this to a dump cake except with a pumpkin filling - soft filling and a crunchy topping - so good!
2 sticks salted butter (I actually used unsalted since that is all I buy)
1 29 oz can of pumpkin puree
1 large can of evaporated milk (it is the bigger can - not the half size can)
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I used pumpkin pie spice because that is all I had!)
1 box yellow cake mix
1. Melt butter; set aside
2. In large bowl, mix together: Pumpkin puree, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg; pour into a baking dish
3. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over mixture - over it completly with the cake mix (yes, use all of the cake mix!)
4. Pour melted butter on top to cover cake mix, do not mix it in. The butter should sit on top of the cake mix and yes, again, use it all.
5. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees
6. Let cool - this is best served cold.
7. Top with a dollop of whipped topping.