Friday, September 21, 2012

Food Friday - Italian Wedding Soup

Italian Wedding Soup
adapted from Skinny Taste

I made this soup yesterday and it is so wonderful!!  We love meatballs and orzo is so easy to work with that it makes this soup a quick fix for dinner or even for lunch.  A couple of things I did differently than the recipe below.  One, I could not find escarole in my grocery store so I picked up spinach instead and it worked wonderfully well in the soup.  I read the comments on the blog post and a lot of people used Kale - I'm not a fan of Kale at all but if you like it, it would go well in this soup also.  The other thing - do you see any orzo in that bowl of soup?  Me neither and I even know it is in there HA!  Once we were done eating, I went to put the left overs in the fridge and guess what?  The orzo was all floating on the top - I guess I should have cooked it a little longer so the orzo would have been completely done :-)  

For the Meatballs:
1.3 pounds of ground turkey breast
1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 large egg
1/4 cup onoin, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt

For the Soup:
8 cups fat-free low sodium chicken broth
1 (16-oz) head escarole, chopped
fresh cracked pepper to taste
3 oz (1/2 cup uncooked orzo

Directions:
IN a large pot, heat the chicken broth over medium heat, covered. 

While the broth is heating up, in a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, onion, garlic, salt and cheese.  Using your hands, gently mix all the ingredients well until everyething is combined.  Form small meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each, you'll get about 40.

When the broth comes to a boil, drop the meatballs in, add the orzo and chopped escarole. Add fresh pepper, adjust salt as needed and cook about 10 minutes or until orzo is done.

Makes 12 cups
 

No comments: