Friday, July 6, 2012

Food Friday - Chess Squares

After having to post a post last Friday with an actual recipe, I went out to Pinterest and started searching for some new things to try.  I came across quite and few and planned to be busy cooking this week but, the high heat changed those plans!  I did actually manage do bake something on Monday, which is amazing to me.  I guess I thought the kitchen was already so hot, who really cared if it got hotter!! 

Chess Squares
adapted from Kevin and Amanda

When I first picked out this recipe, I wrote it down as "Cheese" Squares, sure that the blog author had made a typo but after re-reading it, I think that that the name really is "Chess" Squares even though I have no idea why!!  They did sound very good though - especially with the cream cheese involved :-)  This is a super easy recipe and it would be an easy "go-to" dessert because the list of ingredients are so small and it is items I almost always have on hand.  Of course, I ate a small slice as soon as it was cool enough to eat but it is one of those desserts that gets better as it gets cooler and are perfect at room temp.  I do store them in the fridge though, because of the cream cheese and, well, the heat right now - they would just be sticky mess - and they are also good cold.  I think they might be good with some cherry pie filling on top too :-)

1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
4 cups (1 lb) powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 300 and spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray. Mix cake mix, melted butter and one egg to a soft dough. Press into the bottom of the pan. Mix powdered sugar, softened cream cheese and remaining two eggs until smooth, about 1-2 mins. Pour on top of crust. Bake at 300 for 40-50 minutes until top is golden brown.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i totally read it as "Cheese" squares and thought..."hmmm, that sounds interesting..." until i read your preface....haha, funny! these look good!