Adapted from: Confessions of a Homeschooler
I love that this slow cooks in the oven verses the slow cooker. The kids and I were outside and I could smell it cooking all afternoon (I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed it too!). It was so moist and tender and the seasonings on top just set it all off!! A few things - I used a 1/2 of a pork tenderloin which was about 3.5 pounds so I cooked it for about 5 hours. Also, I did not have Onion Salt so I used onion flakes and it worked fine too!
- 1 Pork Shoulder (or butt) Roast (Mine was about 7lbs)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Onion Salt
- Crushed Pepper (I didn’t put too much b/c of kiddos)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Place roast in roasting pan, and coat generously with Olive Oil
- Sprinkle a good amount of remaining ingredients over roast and ‘rub’ in so that the roast has a good coating of spices.
- Cook uncovered at 275 for about 6 hours (this may depend on the size of your roast, mine was about 7lbs) It should have a nice salty crust on the outside when it’s finished, and your house will smell wonderful!
I know, who doesn't know how to make baked potatoes? Well, I had one of THOSE moments. My oven was busy with the roast set at a low temp so I had to come up with another option for the potatoes when the light bulb went on - the crock pot. It isn't a new idea - my brother did the potatoes that way at Thanksgiving last year but I never thought about it before! It is so easy :-)
6-12 Baking Potatoes
Pierce the Potatoes with a fork and then wrap each one in tin foil. Place potatoes into the crock pot and do NOT add water!!! Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 2 1/2 - 4 hours.
How easy is that???