Friday, August 19, 2011

Show Us Your Life - Back to School Traditions

 Today at Kellys Korner is her weekly post called "Show us your Life".  Today's topic is Back to School Tradtions.  Now, I've been trying to remember what I did growing up with my family and, to be honest, I don't think we did anything HA!  We did always go to the mall in August at some point and do school shopping.  My mom had a list of specific things that we needed (I have three older brothers so shopping for 4 kids meant the lists had to be small!) and we were usually "allowed" to pick at one thing that we really wanted that wasn't on the list.  One year I picked out a Monagramed pink sweater (when they were cool of course . . . wait, where they ever cool?) and another year I picked out a sweater cardigan that had the alphabet on it.  What?  I was cool like that.  HA!  When we went to the mall, the boys went with my dad and I went with my mom.  We would all meet back up and . .. I think we just went home or maybe we ate out, I don't remember that part.  Anyway, when we got home, we all got to try on clothes so the other parents/siblings could see what we got.  It was fun :-)  Beyond that, I think we just dreaded that first day!!! 

Since we didn't do much, I've been trying to keep my eyes open for other people do and I haven't seen a whole lot either!  One friend does the "Annual night before the first day of school banana splits" tradition, which is kinda self-explanitory.  I've also seen how some people plan a special dinner with a back to school centerpiece, placemats and more.  I think one of the biggest things is pictures - the morning of the first day in every grade pictures.  Even friends I know that homeschool, stand their kids outside the front door with their backpacks (homeschool kids need them too - they have books!) and take their picture. 

I did happen to see a post just this morning on establishing back-to-school routines from The Idea Room.  I realize it isn't a tradition but as some of you are getting ready for school to begin (or if it already has!) I thought you might find this helpful. 

Check on the link at the top of the post for more back to school tradition ideas (the post isn't up at the time I'm posting this but it will be up sometime today!)  - I know I'll be reading them because I LOVE tradtions and establishing things in our home that will build great memories for my kids.

Enjoy :-)

No comments: