Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Special Happenings In This House

I already posted my normal Saturday version of Happenings in this House but this is part 2 :-) 

Darryl and I have a tradition and that is what we did today!.  See, 10 years ago on March 18th, my husband proposed to me!  We got engaged at Metrobeach on the east side of the state.  At that time, we  said that on that day every year we would always come back to that place to remember where we were and see how far we've come.  We don't make it back on the actual day but we always get over there sometime within a week before or after that date.  This was a little bit of a last minute decision - we had planned to go two weeks from today but my husband is started school that will cover the next couple of weekends so we switched it to today earlier this week.  Earlier this week, I spent some time looking for some activities that we could do as a family besides just our normal stuff and, thanks to a recent blog post on Superchikk, I had some creative findings.  So check out our day in pictures:

Getting ready to leave - don't you just love those white t-shirts?


 Our very first stop once we arrive in town is always National Coney Island.  There is only one reason for this tradition - I love Hani's and Chili Cheese Fries!!! Honestly, Darryl doesn't really care for this restaurant all that much but he always gets something that he enjoys in the end just so I can enjoy this once a year treat!!  The boys were great - they ate lots of "ries" :-)
From there we headed to Metro Beach.  Some years, like the year we got engaged, it is warm and in the 60's or 70's.  Not this year!!!  It was C O L D!!  Notice the picture showing the people ice fishing still (which I think is crazy since there is open water just past the ice!!!).  So we have a couple of traditions: 1) We always get the "ring" shot.  When we got engaged, before we got in the car to leave, Darryl took a picture with my ring just like the one above.  Now, I show off both the wedding rings and my anniversary ring plus we get one of Darryl with his ring too.  The other tradition is that we always get a picture where he actually proposed.  That is the family shot :-)  Finally, Darryl always has to do a chin-up, which, of course, he did this year.

One of our new activities this year (and is going to become part of the tradition) was inspired by that above mentioned blog.  We went to the Morely Candy Factory!  Even all the years I lived on that side of the state, I never stepped foot into that place and it is probably a good thing!!!!  The boys loved it - especially Josh.  We all picked out treats - Darryl got a box of chocolates, I got an incredible Turtle Carmel Covered Apple (it was fruit so it was healthy!) and Josh, surprisingly picked out solid chocolate butterflies - I think because they were wrapped in really bright foil.  I was sure he would pick something covered in sprinkles.  As you can see - he was enjoying it very, very much!

Another tradition we are adding is a visit to Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum.  Simple, it is a huge arcade but is filled with both new and old style stuff.  It was fantastic.  Josh enjoyed all of the little rides (above he is sitting a chair that goes round and round than on a mechanical see-saw - he is seeing WEE WEE every time he went up in the air) and playing games with his dad.  Nate had to enjoy the stroller instead - it really wasn't his style yet so he just watched me play my favorite - Skeet ball -- so "we" could win tickets for Josh to pick out a prize.  Josh picked out two bouncy balls.  We will be going back to this place - the kids had a blast.

Our last stop was dinner on the way home. We stopped and ate at Crackle Barrel.  Now I will confess, this would not be our first (or probably even second) choice to stop and eat at since we don't go out to eat that often but, we had a great gift card to use which helped keep this entire day within my planned budget.  Sure the food is good and at this location, the helpings were really huge, more than any of us could eat, but we aren't into the home cooking thing as much as others (because my home cooking is so good!  hahaha)

So, that was our busy day!  The boys did awesome on the long rides in the cars thanks to a little "A Bugs Life" on the DVD player and both went to bed quickly.  I got to do something I rarely get to do - rock Nate to sleep.  It isn't because I don't want to but that kid is the energizer bunny - he goes and goes and goes until you lay him down and than he falls asleep.  Tonight, though, he was so tired, he just cuddled in and fell asleep.  Super sweet!!

1 comment:

Superchikk said...

So glad you guys had a great day together! So proud that you got that "healthy" snack at the candy factory! ;)