Thursday, January 27, 2011

Paula's Chicken Nuggets (As in Paula Deen, that is!)

This recipe came recommended to me by a friend so I tried it one day at lunch.  It really is a good tasting piece of chicken - Josh ate his share too!

Ingredients:


Vegetable oil, for frying

1 package dry ranch seasoning mix

1 cup panko bread crumbs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 large egg, lightly beaten

1 cup all-purpose flour

3 boneless skinless chicken cutlets, cut into 1-inch cubes



Directions

Pour oil to a depth of 2-inches in a large Dutch oven or deep-fryer. Heat oil to 360 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine ranch mix, panko and salt together. In a second bowl add the egg mixture and in a third bowl add the flour.
Dredge chicken cubes in flour, dip in beaten egg, and then coat in panko mixture.

Fry chicken nuggets, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until done. Serve with dipping sauce of choice

Here's the chicken!  Next time, I would cut them a little smaller only for cooking time.  A few were "just done" instead of being "done".




Here's my other tip - the recipe says to heat the oil to 360 - see that burnt batch?  I think that is too hot for the oil!!  I than turned it down to 300 and the second and third batches were perfect.  I needed to cook them a little longer to ensure they were done but they did not burn and were VERY GOOD!!  So, learn from my mistake :-)

2 comments:

Kristi said...

That's always the best way, isn't it?!...to learn from other's mistakes!! My favorite place to find recipes is on Kraftfoods.com because you can read the reviews and see what people who actually tried it say. They can say, "add more milk than what's called for," "substitute this," or "turn down the heat on the oil!" Very helpful!

It looks great, Jackie. Something I might try someday!

Jackie Koll said...

Thanks Kristi - they really were good! I think it might by my fryer too. I fried something else and it burned too so mine might run hot!! I loe Kraftfoods.com and Allrecipes.com too!