Thursday, January 13, 2011

Brunswick Stew

Last week I made a Taco Soup that was really good so that has me on a little bit of a Soup/Stew Kick.  I went searching for something to make this week and came across this recipe for Brunswick Stew - I had never heard of it or tasted it but it sound good PLUS it is a slow cooker recipe!  (I do not have a recipe for the Taco Soup because it was from a packet that I bought at a Craft Show this summer - it was very yummy!)

Amelia's Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound country style pork ribs
1 onion, chopped
1 roasted chicken, deboned and shredded
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 (10 fluid ounce) bottle steak sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 lemon, juiced
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 cup frozen Lima beans, thawed

Directions

Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown the ribs on all sides.  Transfer to a slow cooker.  Place onion in the skillet, cook until tender, and transfer to the slow cooker.   Place the chicken in the slow cooker and mix in tomatoes, ketchup, steak sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon, chicken bouillon and pepper.  Cover and cook 6 hours on high.  Remove ribs, discard bones, and shred.  Return meat to slow cooker.  Mix in corn and Lima beans, cover and continue cooking 2 hours on high.

This was SOOOOO good!  I was very happy with this recipe :-)

Now with that said, here are the things I did differently - more than usual, actually, but it was still basically the same:
1) I did not buy ribs - instead I found what pork was on sale which was a package of thin cut boneless chops.  They worked perfectly - I browned them and put them in whole; after a few hours, they were tender enough to shred.
2) I did not buy a whole chicken - again, I price shopped and bought a package of chicken thighs instead.  I actually put those in the crock pot first thing in the morning to cook for a few hours; than emptied the crock pot, shredded the chicken to use in the recipe.
3) I did not have any lemons so I used 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice instead
4.) I mis-read the size of the tomato can needed so I only had a small can of tomatoes but it was still really good.
5) I did not use hot sauce - Darryl isn't a huge fan of hot sauce in recipes.

When I make it again my husband asked that I cut back on either the steak sauce or the vinegar because he felt it was too tangy but still really good.  I liked it the way it was but it was tangy too!

No comments: