Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Worship Wednesday - "Smile" by Chris Rice

I've noticed that I tend to change my song of the week around Wednesday so "Worship Wednesday" seems like a good title :-)

Taking the #1 place on my song list this week is "Smile" by Chris Rice.  Last night, Darryl and I were enjoying the quietness of the evening listening to some music and playing on our computers.  The Chris Rice CD came on and it brought back some great memories.  Several years ago, while camping in Muskegon, we went to Maranatha Bible Camp to hear Chris Rice in concert.  My brother Kel and his family had driven over for the day and attended the concert too.  The concerts at Maranatha were different; they were more intimate.  It was only Chris Rice, the piano and his guitar.  Nothing more.  It was awesome.  While listening to that CD it made me miss camping.  I love to camp - the fire, the smell of wood smoke in the air, the peacefulness at night, walking on the beach, taking drives, smelling all the different dinners and breakfasts cooking.  Not to mention we often reflect while gazing into that campfire.  We did not go this year.  We took Josh last year and had lots of fun but camping with two babies this year seem a bit much.  How would we fit two pack and plays into a small cabin? What if it rains again this year?  How to keep two on the go kids out of the fire pit?  Just too many variables but that doesn't mean I didn't long to just take off and camp.  We've already decided to camp next summer at least once.  We aren't 100% sure what we are doing but we have some ideas.  We'd love to buy a pop-up or camper but right now, it isn't feasible so we'll just get creative :-)  So it isn't so much this particular song that speaks to me - it is Chris Rice in general.  He is a true song writer so his songs are often stories put to music instead of music with words written to match.  Enjoy!

No comments: