Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Homemade Birthday Card

Here's my first "crafty" post.  This is really not that original but it's an idea that came to me a few weeks back when I needed to get my husband an anniversary card.  Instead of running to the store, I decide to create one and in doing so I decided that I would start getting a little more creative with cards.  Plus I found that I was seeing the same cards over and over again and probably bought someone the same card a few times in a row! 

Supplies:
1 package blank cards/envelopes
(or card stock cut to size and envelopes)
Markers
Stickers or other decor items
1 picture of that person
(or if it is a wedding card, sympathy card, an appropriate picture)

1.) Cut the picture to size and mat it, if you want, than attach it to the front of the card.

 2) Than decorate  - I just included the date of the picture since it was recent.

3) On the inside of the card, write a note or choose a saying and decorate as you wish. 

And yes, it is that simple!!
I found a website that has some inspiration if you have trouble thinking of things to write (like me!)
I'm sure there are a million other resources out there to use too but this is the one I've used recently.

For this card (which was for my niece's recent birthday) I used a very current picture but you can also use old photos (how fun!) or use a photo from an event or some special time and include the story either on the front of the card or on the inside.  What a great memory!
And, as always, don't forget to fill the card with confetti before you mail it :-)

The cost of this is awesome:  I purchased a 25 pack of cards/envelopes for $5.00 which is only $0.20 a card plus the cost of getting the picture printed which is normally less than $0.20.  So $0.40 for a card is pretty good!

I personally tried doing stamping and could not make those creative cards like others send me - I don't know how they make them so beautiful with all those layers!  So I had to come up with something that worked for me!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

How cute! Yes, my husband bought me one that was just like one he had bought me a few years back. They don't remember those details though. I thought it was kind of neat though, because he must obviously mean the words that were on it, if he bought it twice! LOL!

I do like making homemade cards, and I like receiving them even more! Good for you!