Thursday, November 10, 2011

What I'm Reading!


Hello Fellow Readers :-)  If you recall, last week I mentioned that I finally re-organized my book shelves and found a nice stack of books I haven't read.  Most of them are some harder reads (which is probably why I haven't read them!) but, I did pick two so far that I've completed - which was kinda nice!  (And neither were as difficult as I thought they would be!)

I have mentioned Liz Curtis Higgs as being one of my favorite authors.  I have read one book of hers that I didn't like that I did actually review here but all authors are entitled to a bad book here or there :-)  This book, Here Burns my Candle  takes place in 18th century Scotland which, right there, tells you that this isn't going to be an easy read.  It is very authentic in the language and setting.  I do not know my Scottish history which may have been a little bit of a stumbling block but Liz does a good job and being informative yet keeping the book exciting.  The book tells the story of the Kerr Family - Lady Marjory, her two sons, Lord Donald and Andrew, and their wives.  As the story plays out, family secrets are learned and the family is devastated by events that take place around the rebel army riding into Edinburgh in September 1745.  This is not a book you can skim through; you actually have to read it in order to stay caught in the story, which I know is not always easy!  All in all, I did enjoy this book and plan on getting book 2 so I can continue on with the family's journey.

This next book, A Brother's Journey by Richard Pelzer is one that I borrowed from my parents a long time ago.  It interested me but yet I didn't read it because I wasn't sure if I wanted to. Richard Pelzer is the brother of David Pelzer who is more well known as The Child called "It".  In this book Richard tells his story of the abuse - both of his part in David's abuse as well as the abuse he was given after David was taken from their home.  Ironically, this was an easy book to read - not the content but the way it was written.  Richard wrote it in away that gives you a very clear picture of what he went through but it is not written in such a way that it is gruesome.  I have never read the book about David - I know that it was a very popular book among teachers when I was teaching; a way to know how to look for abuse, I guess but I just couldn't read it.  I am totally amazed that these children remained in the home even though people know what was going on; that their mother was mentally ill.  I am glad I read this book and I would recommend it but I do want to say that there is language in this book; it is understandable but I like to make that statement up front when I recommend a book like this.

After reading those two books this past week I went back to my "already read" books and have picked up the first book in a series I haven't read in a long time.  I'm looking forward to sharing the books with you as I finish them!

Keep reading!

No comments: