Sunday, June 12, 2011

21 Days of Prayer Challenge - Day 5 - Pride


Today's encouragement comes from Melissa Smallwood, created of Multitasking Mama:



"Praying for my boys has changed as they have gotten older. Watching their personalities, talents and spiritual gifts emerge provides the opportunity to pray specifically for the men they are becoming. My
mama heart used to pray, “God, help me be the kind of mom they need,” but as they have moved into the tween/teen years that prayer has changed. “God, help them become the men you created them to be” is what I utter now.
That man may not always be what I pictured in my mind, when they were toddling around and getting into everything. None of my three boys are anything alike and none of them are what I pictured they would be when they were still small enough to sit on my lap or welcome my kisses. And that is OK.\

Proverbs 22:6 reminds us to "Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it” (Amplified Bible). Prayers for our sons must be individual to that child, and sensitive to the one of a kind man God has designed each of them to be. Whether my boys grow to be doctors, pastors, or drive a milk truck, as long as they are living their lives for God’s glory, my mama heart should be pleased and satisfied.

All three of them are uniquely and wonderfully created. Praying for God to shape their hearts, trusting the master Potter He is, has allowed me to relinquish control of the outcome and cherish my role in the process of learning who they will become.

As they grow, up and away – as is God’s plan – my heart’s cry to Him is that they will lead lives pleasing to their Creator {and that they will visit their mama frequently}.


Today's challenge is to read through the 10 prayers from the Pride chapter. 

You can access the old posts HERE to get ideas on how to fit the prayers into your day.  Or here are a few more ideas:

1. Take time on either your lunch break or during lunch at home to prayer through the prayers (I often read while I eat, so why not pray?)
2. The weather has turned nice - why not take a family walk and read the prayers out loud as you walk?

Enjoy!

No comments: