Monday, November 8, 2010

Photo Holders

One of the neat crafts that I made to use at Josh's 2nd birthday party were the star photo holders.  I will be using them at Nate's upcoming birthday as well AND plan to use them in future years.  I'm sorry to say I didn't get pictures of all of the steps because I forgot but the process is pretty simple.

1.  The Star Cutouts - I purchased the stars at Micheal's for just a dollar or so a piece.  They were plain wood.  I picked up the really cheap spray paint at Walmart (Blue, White, Black, and Red) and sprayed each of the stars a different color.  Once dry, I used glitter glue to outline the center star (this is a raised panel on the wooden star so it was easy to do!)
2. The base - I searched through my husband's wood scrap bin and found a board that I then cut down into small rectangles to use as a base.  I also sprayed those the same color as the stars.  Once dry, I used lots of Hot Glue, to secure the star to the wood.  (Eventually, I will probably need to use Gorilla Glue to make them extra secure but our Gorilla Glue was dried out!)
3. The Clips - I chose to use clothespins because it was quick, cheap and easy!  I just hot glued one to the three points of the star.  You could also drill small holes in each point and use a heavy duty wire to make a holder too. 

Than, to finish it off - I went through my photos and found one picture from each month (for a total of 12) showing Josh.  It was a great way to see how much he had changed!

If you want a more detailed tutorial with pictures, check out Oopsey-daisy.  I got this idea from her blog - she used wire for the holders instead of the clothes pins in case you want to see that. 

Happy Crafting :-)

No comments: