Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pork Loin Stuffed with Spinach

This is a recipe that Darryl found and made several years ago.  I'm not sure why I don't make it more - it's good and it really is easy!  When we both worked full time, Darryl always cooked Friday night -Sunday night so he found it fun to search for new recipes and most of them were good!!

Pork Loin Stuffed with Spinach

1/2 package frozen chopped spinach; thawed and drained
3 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
3 pound pork tenderloin
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Saute spinach, butter, onions, and garlic over medium heat until soft. Add breadcrumbs
Cut tenderloin in half (or butterfly it, depending on the size)
Stuff with spinach mixture.
And secure with kitchen twine
IN a bowl, mix ketchup, orange juice and teriyaki sauce.  Baste tenderloin with 1/2 of the mixture.  Sprinkle pork with cumin.  Place in shallow roaster and bake at 350 degrees uncovered for one hour.  Baste with reserved marinade and cook one more hour, covered.  Use meat thermometer to check for doneness (160-170 degrees F.)


Notes:
1) Obviously, I didn't just cut mine in half, I butterflied it, twice, and than spread the filling across the piece of pork and rolled it up - it's prettier :-)
2) Because I made this for Sunday dinner, I pour all of the marinade over the pork roast and covered it.  It cooked while we were at church.  Next time - I would add some chicken broth to the pan to give it extra moisture (if cooking it this way instead of according to the directions)
3) I threw a few whole potatoes in the pan (like I do with a regular roast) so that dinner was basically all in one pan.  I think if I put chicken broth in for extra liquid - I would also throw Carrots in as well so the veggie
was also done at the same time.
4) Another great thing about this recipe is you can make it the day before and just have to put it in the oven before walking out the door to church.

No comments: