Wednesday, August 25, 2010

31 in 31 - Day 15

So, here it is day 15.  Isn't this ugly? LOL  Do you know what they are?  BEETS!!  I went to the farmers market on Monday and she had 3 quarts of beets; that's it.  I was "lucky" to get them since they usually sell out first thing in the morning.  Why beets?  Because I love pickled beets and that is one of my canning projects to complete!  I grew up with a mom that canned lots of stuff and her recipe for the beets were the best . . .granted now, as I read the Ball Canning Guide, I realize she got it right out of that cookbook! Anyway, I have tried store bought and cannot find any that taste nearly as good so I'm going to make my own.  My husband hates them.  So I really just would like to get 12 jars - one a month for me :-)  It will be interesting to see if the boys like them - if they do, I might have to try for 24 next year.  Anyway, right now the beets are enjoying my counter.  I haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet.  I'm aiming to get them down on Friday or Saturday . . .than you'll see another picture and they will be "pretty" :-)

No comments: