Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Teaching Tuesdays - Week 17 - The Week Before Christmas

So, our week didn't start out as planned!  I ended up taking Josh to the doctor and he had strep throat!  This is a first for either of the boys and, for the record, I'd much rather have a kid with strep than with the stomach flu! (I guess I jinxed myself because as of the posting of this, I have one kid down with the flu!)  Anyway, we did not do school on Monday - Josh, who loves school, looked at me as we got home from the doctor and said, "Mom, I don't want to do school, I don't feel good.  I just want to sit under a blanket".  Well, I had already figured we'd cancel school but he was just too sweet!

We continue to work through out daily lessons but we also had fun with some winter themed worksheets this week too.  

 We did letter matching on a mitten worksheet that I found over at Made By Teachers (and it's free).  A snowflake counting worksheet from Teachers Pay Teachers where the boys had to write the number for each group of snowflakes.  (This comes from a larger packet)
 We also built a snowman found over at Mrs. Karle's Sight and Sound Reading.  This was great for their cutting skills.  Yes, this is Josh's.  Nate took his and hung it up else where and it took me forever to find it HA!  (He has decided that he will now hang all of his papers on his wall because, "Mom, it is MY wall." )

On Friday, we worked on some great crafts for Christmas. 

 We are trying hard to focus on the Nativity this Christmas (even though my boys are enthralled with Santa too).  so when I saw this great craft, I knew we needed to do it.  I would like to share the link with you but it is no longer working :-(  I pre-cut the figures for the boys but than they "built" the stable and added the figures.  Nate really enjoyed this one the most  - his is the one on top.  You might notice a "lean to" on the side of the stable; he put that there so that Mary and Baby Jesus had a special place to sleep. 

I wanted to make these last year but I completely forgot about making them until it was too late.  Well, I found the idea over at Free Fun Christmas and it was a huge hit.  I used my circle punch to punch out the eyes and mouth and hand cut the nose.  I used a pipe cleaners and large pom's for the ear muffs.  One thing I learned after struggling with the hot glue on the earmuffs - cut a small slit in each side of the jug; stick the pipe cleaner through each slit and then hot glue the puffs on top of them.  The glue will go into the slits and hold the pipe cleaner in place.  Also, if you can find them, battery operated lights would be the best things to use; I couldn't find them so I just got strands of 50 lights (not the 100) and, as you can see, they are very well lit up.

I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to this week and not doing regular lessons.  I have a few activities/crafts I'd like to do but nothing is set in stone.  On Monday, we have some fun things planned for Nate's birthday; the boys want to make and decorate cookies one day, and we have to pack and load up too.  It will be a very fun week! (Obviously, I write this prior to the big sickness - we did nothing for Nate's birthday as he was/is so sick and I don't plan on doing any baking until we are all well again!)

No comments: