Friday, August 3, 2012

Food Friday - Fruit Cobbler

Fruit Cobbler
adapted from Teri Dubois (a friend)
Doesn't that make your mouth water?  This is my all time favorite cobbler recipe and it comes from a friend that I taught with for years.  Her parents had raspberries bushes so she would fill her freezer with raspberries and in the middle of winter bring in a HUGE pan of fresh raspberry cobbler (It was the size of about 4 9x13 pans and by the end of the day - every drop was gone!)  I happened to have some blueberries and raspberries left over from the trip to Ohio last weekend and they were looking a little rough after traveling and living in a cooler for a few days so I decided to throw this together for dessert.  Honestly, because I loved the raspberry cobbler so much, I've never used this with any other fruit but the mixed berries were awesome :-)  I think I need to buy a bunch of berries while they are on sale, freeze them, and make this again on a day we get a snowstorm.


Mix:

½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 cups fresh fruit

Mix in a 2-quart saucepan.  Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.  Boil and stir one minute.  Pour into in ungreased 2-quart casserole or baking dish.

Mix:

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening  (this time when I made it - I did not have shortening so I used 6 Tablespoons of real butter and it was SOOO good!)
½ cup milk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut shortening into the mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.  Stir in milk.  Drop by spoonfuls onto hot fruit mixture.  Bake at 400 degrees until topping is golden brown (25-30 minutes)
**When using raspberries, double the sugar and cornstarch

No comments: