Saturday, November 19, 2011

Weekly Menu - week of 11/19 AND Thanksgiving!

Wow, can you believe Thanksgiving is this coming week?  It seems like it was months away and then, I turned around and it was a week away!  We had some really good meals this past week and one night of leftovers.  I was recently trying to figure out why, growing up, we "always" had leftovers on Sunday night.  Then it dawned on me, my mom shopped on Mondays so by the time we got to Sunday night, it was basically clean out the fridge.  My mom didn't cook after church on Sunday night, we were kind of on our own with supervision!  Sometimes we had pizza but most of the time you hoped you were the first one to the fridge so you can the best leftovers!!! 

I'm going to do this post a little differently.  First, I'll give the basic weekly menu and then I'll do Thanksgiving day separately. 

Saturday:  Darryl and the kids are having Hamburgers and Mac and Cheese; I'm going Scrapbooking all afternoon/evening.

Sunday:  Darryl has a concert so we will grab something quick on the way home (I should clarify that normally, Sunday lunch is our big meal)  For dinner, we will have Overnight French Toast and Bacon.

Monday: With Thanksgiving hitting this week, our meals are going to be simple!  So, tonight is Spaghetti and Garlic Bread (Since it is just the kids and I, I'm doing store bought, not making my own sauce.)

Tuesday: Tacos and Rice

Wednesday:  Lasagna, bread and salad (I actually made and froze a pan of lasagna a few weeks ago since I knew I would be busy getting ready for Thanksgiving!)

Thursday:  See the menu below!

Friday:  No kids, no husband and I'm shopping - no meals planned :-)

Saturday: The kids will still be gone - we will have leftovers or order a pizza! - Oops I went over a day HA!


Our Thanksgiving Menu
I have not hosted Thanksgiving at my house since I was a single girl living in my first apartment and we did "Christmas" early because my brother and his family were moving to Brazil.  I was kind of excited to get to host this time.  I mean, there will be so many of us!!  My parents and us - that is a total of 4 adults and 2 kids HA! 


Snacks: If you know me, you know I love to have little appetizers on hand.  I find it helps keep people happy!  Our snacks are:
Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil - this is awesome stuff.  I made it several times this summer and the best part is this recipe is a Weight Watchers recipe so it is nice and light too. 
and
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Wontons - I'll be posting this recipe this coming week on my Pinterest Challenge.
Peanut Butter Goodies - This was my husbands request so my mom is bringing them :-)  His words were "I just want them to snack on, not for dessert."
The Meal: Now for the good stuff!  Check this out :-)

Puerto Rican Turkey - my brother made a turkey last year that was to die for and he willingly gave me his recipe.  I can't wait to make this and hope it is almost as good as his (without his touch, it won't be perfect HA!) 

Our Sides:
Pomegranate Arugula Salad - this is something new but I love pomegranates!  
Green Bean Casserole - just the standard version
Sweet Potato Casserole - this is an "old" recipe I have but I haven't made it in years.  I hope it is as good as I remember!
Parsley Potatoes - lets be honest, I can't make mashed potatoes to save my life.  (I know, who CAN'T make mashed potatoes?)  This recipe is my new go to potato recipe though so I know it will be a hit!
Sausage and Herb Stuffing - I'll be honest, I've never made this but it is an Ina Garten recipe and I've anything I've made of hers has been good.  I just didn't want the "typical" stuffing
Cranberry Sauce - This is my mom's famous recipe so she is bringing them (hehehe . . from the deli at her local store but it really is some of the best stuff ever!)
Rolls (just the Hawaiian Rolls - nice and simple!)

Dessert: Lets just say I enjoy making dessert so I think my parents will be taken a few pieces of pie home!
Pumpkin Pie - this is a combination of two recipes so I will share later
Surprise Pecan Pie - this just looks yummy!!

I have my list all made on what to cook when so I won't be cooking all day on Thursday - most things will be made or at least ready to be assembled by Wednesday evening.  One "side" note on the sides - I do plan on cutting the recipes in half, yes we like leftovers but we don't eat them for weeks :-) 

Enjoy!

No comments: