Monday, October 3, 2011

Making Your Home a Haven - Week 1

Women Living Well



A year ago, Courtney over at Women Living Well hosted a series called "Making Your Home a Haven.  It was such a big success that she is hosting it again this year.  Of the few series that I participate in anymore, this one is a favorite so I wanted to link up again.  She gives some pretty practical ideas and great truths to implement into your daily routine each week. 

The first challenge in this series, as stated by Courtney is:
Go buy an extra large candle and light a candle everyday in your home. I will be starting mine in the morning! But you can start yours at dinner time. Do what makes sense for your family. I will be placing mine in the kitchen – the main hub of my home. Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home

Isn't that easy?  I love lighting candles this time of year anyway - it is cool and crisp outside and the candle just warms up the room.  I light a candle in my living room every day since that is the room we spend the most time in currently.  I have a Yankee Candle - Autumn Harvest - that my mom picked up for me that is my current candle of choice :-)  I love that this particular spot in my home is one that walk by several times .. an hour . . so it is an easy reminder to pray.  (If you are not a candle lover - pick something else to make your focus  . . maybe get a frosted glass and put a battery operated tea light in it so it looks like a candle!) 

What really makes your home a haven?   Very simply, it is not the things we have or do not have but rather, it is YOU!  You are the key to making the home a haven. 

I would like to urge you to click HERE and read the fantastic post that was written about two types of home - which one do you fall into?  The distant or engaged home.  Like Courtney, I strive to be in Home #2 (the engaged home) but many times a week . .. a day, even, I find myself in home #1!  So this week, I'm going to be praying that I can work towards being a Proverbs 14:1 woman:  "The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down". 

If you choose to participate, you can leave a comment here or over on Women Living Well (but I would love to know too!)  and/or you can write a post about what you are doing and link up with Courtney on Wednesday!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for this challenge! I love the idea of putting a purpose to lighting my favorite fall candles. Can't wait to get started tomorrow!

April's Homemaking said...

I too am enjoying this challenge, I love lighting my candle, such a great way to remember to pray throughout the day! ~April

Liz said...

THank you so much for reminding me of what is really important... to be engaged and present with my family.

Jennifer said...

Wow! Thanks! "Each time the candle catches your eye, say a prayer for peace in your home" Brilliant idea! I'll have to tell Courtney "thank you!"

And Thank you for this post!!

ps. I LOVE Yankee candles too!! They're the best!

Toni said...

I've had my candles going this week as well. What a lovely reminder, yes? Yankee candles are my faves (worth the extra $$$ and they do run some good sales). But I also enjoy ordering from a small company called Kentucky Hollow Creations (you can find them online). The candles hold their scent every bit as well as Yankee, the only other candles I've ever discovered that do. My favorite is their Cinnamon Vanilla. Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Toni