Friday, June 17, 2011

Layered Lime Jell-O

This is one of those odd recipes that you eat somewhere, kind of out of "duty", and are amazingly surprised by how good it is.  I can honestly say that had I seen this recipe in a magazine I would have turned the page but, after tasting it, I had to have it!  I was even slightly put off when I was given the recipe HA!  With that said, my husband, who really is not a fan of "Jell-O Salads" eats at least two helpings of this one any time I serve it.  Yes, it really is that good!  (my kids love the green Jell-O part but skip the topping . . .imagine that!)

Look at those three lovely layers!!!!  It will help if you like Lime Jell-O, which I do!  BUT I am not a fan of things like carrots (who puts veggies in Jell-O?? YUCK) put in Jell-O.  Just because it wiggles, doesn't mean you can hold weird things hahahaha. 

Three Layered Jell-O

Ingredients
6 oz box of Lime Jell-O
3 3/4 cups hot water
1 cup drained crushed pineapple, juice reserved

Mix the above items and then pour into an 8x8 dish.  Place in the fridge until firm.

8 oz cream cheese (Softened)
1 cup cool whip

Whip together and spread on top of Jell-O

Mix together:
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup pineapple juice

Cook until thick, then let cool and put on top of cream cheese layer.  Chill  (Note: This needs to be heated slowly as to not scramble the eggs; once it is hot, turn up the heat enough to bring it to a very slow "bubble" so it will thicken.  It will happen quickly once it gets to this point so keep an close eye on it!)

So, here are a couple of things I learned :-)  The first time I made this, it was a total 100% fail.  This is a plan ahead recipe - one that needs to be started in the morning but, it is also quick because it is just a quick 10 minute mix of a layer and then walk away for a few hours.  I tried to rush it, on a very hot day, and my Jell-O never set up.  It was sad :-(  BUT the second time around, I was patient!


I hope I didn't scare you away :-)  This is really is a very tasty, easy, recipe!

No comments: