Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Eensy Weensy Spider - Craft

YEAH!  I'm finally getting some time to craft!  I saw this adorable idea over at Oopsey Daisy and thought it looked so fun!  We sing a lot of songs in this house and the Eensy Weensy Spider is a true favorite!  This is such an easy craft and so much fun!  I only made one but I think I might need to whip up a second one so each boy has one (and will need to make one for my friends munchkin too!)

Supplies
Black felt
Red Felt (or scraps)
White felt (or scraps)
Pipe cleaner
black thread
rice

 First, I made a template by tracing a large bowl on a white piece of paper.  Than I stapled the paper to the black felt and cut around my circle.  I did not worry about perfection in my cutting since I'll be sewing it together.
Than, I just free hand cut out the eyes, mouth and tongue.  I thought the tongue really did make it cute.

I sewed the "legs" into the circle while leaving enough open to be able to put a bag of rice inside


Than I hot glued the eyes and mouth on the spider and let it sit for awhile (Partly because I had no rice to finish it up until later in the day!)

Once I got the rice, I filled a Ziploc bag and stuffed it inside; than finished sewing up the circle.  Isn't he cute???
I can't wait to use this when we see "The Eensy Weensy Spider" this next week.

Things I learned:  I need to make sure my circles are exactly the same size since you don't sew this inside out.  My circles don't line up but that's ok.  Also, I would stick the legs inside further and hot glue them on one circle prior to sewing it all closed to make them more secure. (Also, if it was smaller, you could use only 4 pipe cleaners and have them stick out on each side too!)   One of the legs pulled out and I had to re-sew it (I actually re-sewed over all of the legs about 5 times to secure them) .  Also, I think if I make another one, I'll make it a little smaller, this guy is huge! Otherwise - this really is a super easy super fun project.

No comments: