Monday, August 30, 2010

Sweet and Sour Crockpot Pork

Yes, it is that time again - Monday!  Which means New Recipe day around here.  Thankfully, this weeks recipe was also a success!
Sweet and Sour Crockpot Pork

Serves 4-6

5 boneless pork chops
1 Tablespoon oil
1 can (15 oz) crushed pineapple (with juice)
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon quick-cooking Tapioca *
3 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Hot, cooked rice

In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil on both sides.  Drain fat.  Transfer to crock pot.  In a bowl combine remaining ingredients (except rice); mix well.  Pour over pork chops.  Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.  Serve over rice.


Yes, in the picture it looks really "saucy" but I found that it wasn't once we dug down into the rice. 

Notes:
* I did not use quick-cooking tapioca.  It is used in this recipe as a thickener but when I priced it at the store a box did not fit into my weekly budget.  I used cornstarch instead.  I have a feeling that the tapioca would have made the sauce even thicker but it seemed fine with the cornstarch.
* I love crock pot meals that require very little work - I'd prefer not to even have to brown meat (whats the point in using a crock pot if you have to cook first?) but find that I like pork browned first so you get that nice crust. 
** I served this is with freshly steamed broccoli and garlic bread - it was VERY yummy!!

** This tasted very similar to sweet and sour pork; Chinese style.  The difference is that the pork is not breaded.  I have another recipe that tastes exactly like Chinese food but it calls for a lot more sugar so I think I prefer this one!  You could lightly bread the chops in flour before browning them to give them more of that specific flavor.

No comments: